Taking a packed lunch to work is a great way to eat healthier, low-cal foods. By preparing your own food you have better control over what you eat, the portion sizes you eat and even the amount of money you spend.
Try out some of these tasty packed lunch ideas:
- Nori rolls (such as low-fat California rolls), raw veggies or fruit, and an iced tea.
- Homemade salads with protein such as hard-boiled egg, turkey, chicken, tuna/salmon, and avocado. Serve with whole-grain crackers.
- Brown rice or whole-wheat couscous salad (you can prepare a large amount at the start of the week) with dried cranberries, pine nuts, and marinated artichoke hearts and other raw veggies.
- Sandwich or wrap on whole-grain bread, raw veggies or fruit, and iced tea.
- A baguette with turkey, cheese, sliced tomato, and fresh basil, some veggie sticks, a piece of gourmet chocolate and a handful of strawberries.
If you have a microwave at work, try out some of these ideas:
- Bean and cheese burrito. Add cooked frozen veggies on the side. Frozen brown rice can also be heated as a side.
- Non cream-based soup with some protein added, such as a small three ounce can of tuna or salmon. Team with a light side salad.
- Asian-bowl meals, such as Thai shrimp with broccoli.
- Vegetarian patty and veggies or a salad. Add a whole-grain bun and low-fat cheese for a real hamburger.
- Low-fat meatballs or soy meatballs, with frozen broccoli, spinach, artichoke hearts, zucchini or other veggies, and spaghetti sauce.
- Freeze a loaf of whole-grain bread. When needed, pull out one to two slices and toast, add a slice of low-fat cheese (can also be frozen), and tomato and microwave.